Saturday, November 20, 2010

El Capitan

El Capitan
El Capitan
Originally uploaded by right2roam
For my first photo post I chose this image that I brought back from my trip to Yosemite National Park last weekend. I spent a couple of mornings exploring the valley looking for impressions of the fall colors. This trip was a little late for the brighter colors that appear earlier in the fall, but the colors were still stunning, especially on this given weekend with clear blue skies providing for interesting contrast between warm and cool tones.

A similar shot should be easy for anyone with minimal gear to pull off. On the south side of the valley there are a number of pull-outs along the road as you're passing beneath El Capitan. You'll have to hike in a few hundred yards to get to the river, and look for any number of openings along the river bank where you can compose your shot. To find this composition I had to study the reflections in the river carefully, looking for just the right spot for my tripod, so that the floating leaves would partially frame the rock face of El Capitan.

Canon EOS 5D
Focal Length: 21mm
Aperature: f/18
Exposure: 1/2 second
ISO 50

3 comments:

  1. This is an incredible shot you took! I am looking forward to seeing more exciting shots from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I really need to visit Yosemite someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful photo. You do such nice work!

    ReplyDelete