Friday, February 4, 2011

Dragonfly Hovering

Dragonfly Hovering
Dragonfly Hovering
Originally uploaded by right2roam
One of my contacts on Flickr asked if I could do a write-up for this photo, so here it is.

I took this shot while playing around with a 300mm zoom on my old EOS 20D. I was so amazed with the combination of the long zoom and the smaller APS-C sensor found in Canon's Rebel and 10D lines. Though some image quality is sacrificed with the smaller sensors compared to the full frame 5D I shoot with now, I sometimes miss the magnification power of that combination.

The photo itself took a bit of study and experimentation. Dragonflies were everywhere darting around, or bouncing, or hovering around the lily pads and cattails that line much of the Chain Lakes shoreline. I tried similar shots using the cattails and lily pads as the background, and found that the dragonflies just didn't stand out very well against the dark green foliage. Then I saw this one hovering in front of an aluminum rowboat. The light grey background worked great, and here's the photo. I admit that there's some room for improvement. More intense sunlight would allow for use of a lower ISO thus reducing graininess, and a faster shutter speed would reduce the blur at the dragonfly's wingtips.

Focal Length: 300 mm
Aperature: f/9.0
Exposure: 1/500 second
ISO 800

1 comment: