Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Grand Teton from Oxbow Bend

Grand Teton from Oxbow Bend
Grand Teton from Oxbow Bend
Originally uploaded by right2roam
Oxbow Bend is probably one of the most photographed locations in Grand Tetons National Park, just behind the old barns at Mormon Row.

That morning I achingly crawled out of my sleeping bag about an hour before dawn hoping to find that perfect spot along the riverbank for a shoot during prime morning light. Still groggy from waking up without my habitual cup of Joe, I jumped from the tent to my car only to be stopped two miles down the road by a herd of buffalo ambling across the highway. This is where it pays to give yourself plenty of time to get to your location for the set-up. Even with the buffalo delay I still got the timing right, but to my disgust a dozen other photographers had already beaten me there and taken up most of the interesting tripod locations. Who knew that recreational nature photography could be so competitive?!? After studying the shoreline a while I found a bit of unclaimed territory where I could work these branches into the foreground, providing a needed break in the smooth monotony of the water. All in all, not a bad composition, I think. Then it was just a matter of breakfast, and patiently waiting for sunrise with the sounds of the Tetons waking up around me.

Canon EOS 5D
Focal Length: 80mm
Aperature: f/20
Exposure: 3/10 second
ISO 50

1 comment: