Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Rushing Sea

A Rushing Sea
A Rushing Sea
Originally uploaded by right2roam
This photo is from one of my earliest posts to Flickr, and I thought its about time it makes an appearance on the blog.

What do you do when you wake up before sunrise on a stormy Sunday and can't get back to sleep? Grab your camera and head to the beach! Here is one of the outcomes of a restless stormy morning. There was so much energy in the air that morning that I couldn't sit still. By sunrise I was at this little beach at Point Pinos on the Monterey Peninsula where the sea was at a roaring boil. By the time I left I was soaked up to my knees in the Pacific, but somehow still had dry feet thanks to my amazing Gortex boots.

Shots like this aren't too difficult if you have a good wide angle lens, tripod, and a cable release. Before I even started shooting I knew that the streaking effect of the water was going to be the attention grabber. It was only a matter of getting multiple exposures, then while at home at my computer, choosing the shot that best produced my desired effect. To get the streaking effect you need to release the shutter as the water is running back off the beach... not while the wave is rolling in.

On days like this the biggest challenge is staying dry and protecting your equipment. There were a couple of times when larger waves forced me to grab my gear and make a dash for higher ground. Not that I was in any real danger where I was shooting as I had a clear path to escape any large waves, but I really wasn't in the mood to let anything expensive get ruined just for a morning of hobby shooting.

Canon EOS 5D
Focal Length: 16 mm
Aperature: f/22
Exposure: 1 second
ISO 50

2 comments:

  1. I love what you did to your page! You are extremely talented and I am looking forward to following your blog. It is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture! And great write up about your experience. That makes looking at your pictures even more fun!

    ReplyDelete