Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Dante's Shore

Dante's Shore by right2roam
Dante's Shore a photo by right2roam on Flickr.

The shot you see here is nothing like what I imagined before I set out for the beach on this day. I didn't really have a plan other than to explore different afternoon composition possibilities around the Monterey Peninsula, and frustratingly my tests with long exposures just weren't coming together because of brighter than ideal skies.

Gradually the brighter afternoon sky dimmed as the sun set, and the dull browns and greens of this overcast day faded into the soft blues and grays of the often overlooked blue hour. I was finally having some success with the long exposure... enough success that I decided to see what happens when I push the limits of my camera.

A 25 second exposure at ISO 200 was sure to produce an image with less than ideal noise and graininess, but I figured I'd try anyway. It was already so dark that I was having a hard time climbing around on the sharp rocks, but a few more moments of studying the scene and the composition idea came together. I did something I almost never consider doing with nature photography. I combined an obvious human element with the movement of a set of large waves rolling into the rocks. Overall I'm pleased with the combination of glowing city lights and hauntingly cool blues of the twilight tidal action.

Canon EOS 5D
Focal Length: 35mm
Aperature: f/22
Exposure: 25 seconds
ISO 200

No comments:

Post a Comment