Friday, March 4, 2011

Empires Rise and Empires Fall...

Empires Rise and Empires Fall...
Empires Rise and Empires Fall... a photo by right2roam on Flickr.

"In the last five or six thousand years, empires one after another have arisen, waxed powerful by wars of conquest, and fallen by internal revolution or attack from without."
- John Boyd Orr

For today's post I thought I would share something completely different...
...A simple tribute to the heroes of the spirit of reform and revolution that is sweeping the Middle East. May the winds of change bring you happiness, health and peace.

About the shot?...
This also marks my one-hundredth post to my photostream on Flickr. I took this shot nearly two years ago today with my Canon G10 while awkwardly riding on a camel. Cropping my images is almost always painful as I prefer that my work have as much detail as possible. But in this case I simply felt that cropping into a panorama was appropriate here. The composition of the original photo was terrible, with a crooked horizon and disproportionate amounts of foreground and sky that detracted from the Pyramids. The drastic crop was just the best way to balance the image and keep the dimensions of the scene in perspective. In hindsight I should have also tried to zoom in more and take several shots which could then be stitched together into a high-resolution panorama using photo editing software such as Photoshop Elements... a lesson for the next time I'm riding a camel around the Pyramids of Egypt.

1 comment:

  1. I do remember you trying to take a picture while riding on the camel! LOL I do love how you did this shot in panorama. I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete