Sunday, March 18, 2012

Crystal Twilight

Crystal Twilight by right2roam
Crystal Twilight, a photo by right2roam on Flickr.

On the beach at the mouth of the Jökulsárlón glacial lagoon in southern Iceland you can find a large number of icebergs stranded on the volcanic black sand. In Winter at this latitude the sun barely peeks above the horizon, then just hovers for a few hours providing a lingering period of light with an almost magical quality. Then the light slowly dwindles into an ethereal twilight, and if you're lucky will give way to the ghostly glow of Aurora.

This photo was simple enough to capture... just my handheld G10 at ISO 400. Yes, I had my SLR and tripod with me on this trip and certainly would have prefered the better equipment. I had spent the two previous hours working the icebergs at the other end of the glacial lagoon. This was my first real test of photographic equipment in cold weather. And its very true, lithium ion batteries just don't hold their charge in the cold.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, crystal is a good word for it! Love the light and reflections.

    ReplyDelete