Friday, April 27, 2012

Egret and Natural Arch

Egret and Natural Arch by right2roam
Egret and Natural Arch, a photo by right2roam on Flickr.

A popular location revisited. Here's my favorite take from the famous natural arch at Santa Cruz.
Snowy Egrets can often be seen in Winter wading along the shores and tidal flats of Monterey Bay.

The day I posted this to Flickr I showed it off to a few colleagues and got some interesting feedback. Several thought that this was a composite image, that I had added the egret in Photoshop. I'm not a huge fan of HDR, and the only time I combine images is when stitching together panoramas. This is a single shot, only subtly processed in Photoshop using two blended layers. I used one layer to bring out some detail in the water, another layer to slightly brighten the sky and recover some cloud detail.
I must have 20 shots of this scene, with egrets and without. There were half a dozen birds striding through the shallow waves as the sunset faded into twilight. This is the only frame where an egret stood still long enough for me to capture the movement of the water flowing around its feet.

Canon EOS 5D
Focal Length: 55 mm
Aperature: f/22
Exposure: 1.6 seconds
ISO 50

No comments:

Post a Comment